Houseplant Care Tips

Various Houseplant Care Tips Including Watering and Lighting Requirements.


Houseplant Care Tips

Friday, January 07, 2011

Croton Plant FAQ

Problem:
My Croton plant has grown long and spindly with many of its leaves falling off. Can I save my plant?

Answer:
Typically those signs would signal that your Croton is not receiving enough light. I personally have never tried it, however you can try cutting the plant off under the leaf line and new shoots may begin to grow. Keep your plant near bright light to prevent the spindling from occurring again.


Problem:
The leaves are all falling off my Croton.

Answer:
Make sure your houseplant is receiving enough water. Croton’s require heavy water levels. Water your houseplant weekly if not more, keeping the soil moist but not soggy. Be sure your pot allows for proper drainage. Use distilled or untreated water. Croton’s can be touchy to chemicals in the water.


Problem:
I left my Croton outside too long. The plant was exposed to the cold and now looks like it’s dying. Is there hope?

Answer:
Croton’s are typically very hardy. They are also temperamental. Continue to provide it with its basic watering and lighting needs and it may spring back. The plant may just be in shock and needs to recover. Time.


Problem:
My Croton’s foliage no longer contains its bright, vibrant colors.

Answer:
Lack of color or dullness in the leaves usually signals a lack of light. Move your Croton closer to a bright window and the vibrant colors should return.


Problem:
The leaves on my Croton are drying up and turning brown on the ends.

Answer:
Foliage browning can signal you may be over watering the plant. The browning ends may also signal the plant needs higher humidity levels. Croton’s require heavier water levels, however keep the soil moist, but not soggy. Utilize a pot with holes in the bottom allowing excess water to drain out, helping to prevent root rot from over-soaked soil near the roots. You can also try using a humidifier if you are in a dry air climate.


Problem:
My Croton has mealybugs. How can I get rid of them?

Answer:
Before trying an pesticide, try using a soapy dishwater mixture. Simply mix dishsoap with water in a spray bottle. Spray the plant down twice a day. If after a couple days you don’t see improvement, then visit your local garden store for a pesticide as the infestation may be too strong for the homemade solution.


Problem:
My Croton just grew 2 stems with very small balls on them from the middle of the plant. What are they?

Answer:
Congratulations! Your Croton is flowering! Go to Google Images and search “Croton flower” to confirm.


Added Croton Care Tip

When traveling, utilize a water bottle for watering while gone. Poke a few small holes in an empty water bottle. Fill the water bottle with water (leaving a little space for expansion). Turn the bottle upside down and freeze. Then before you leave, put the bottle right side up in your plant allowing your plant to receive water while away.
Thanks missterious518!


Read the complete Croton Plant Care post for additional information on how to care for this houseplant.



Labels:


 AddThis Social Bookmark Button AddThis Feed ButtonAdd to Technorati Favorites

6 Comments:

Blogger Holiday Darin said...

Hi -- I've had a Croton for maybe ten months. It was thriving until about a month ago. The leaf edges are turning brown AND some leaves are falling off. From what I read, it sounds like leaf drop comes from under watering and edge browning comes from over watering. Can my plant's problems be from something else? Thx!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Shine said...

thanks for sharing such great information! maybe I will have better luck next year, I am terrible growing plants, well some "P Nice blog!

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Lawn Mower Battery said...

Cool question and answer entry! Been really enjoying your other entries too! Is it possible to send you a set of questions for answering?

3:15 AM  
Blogger Gary in NYC said...

My Croton is growing pretty well, branching a lot naturally without any pruning. There are two main stalks of the plant. The copious amount of leaves is creating quite a bit of weight, which makes the plant sag a bit. I've had to use supports to keep the stalks upright. Is this normal?

Also, there are numerous flower stalks coming out of this plant--two huge ones at the top and a bunch of smaller ones at various levels off the main stalks. Is the plant trying to tell me something? Is the pot too small and so it is trying to propagate? I repotted it about 18 months ago and it's a nice big one. It doesn't look to me like the plant needs more room. The flowers create quite a mess!

10:15 AM  
Blogger P.I. Barrington said...

I've had the same problem with browning ends of leaves on my plant that Holiday Darin had. I snipped off the dry ends and it doesn't seem to hurt the plant though ALL the lower leaves of the croton have fallen off leaving a crown of leaves on top of thin bare stalks. I've heard if you dead head the new leaves at the top it will encourage the lower leaves to sprout. I tried it once on a stalk but it died. I'd love to hear how to encourage the lower leaves to come back!~

11:31 AM  
Blogger Holiday Darin said...

Hey PI - I've adjusted my watering to every 3 to 5 days. I give the plant a pretty good soak (about a liter for a 12 or 14 liter pot. Browning of leaves has almost disappeared and naked, lower stems have sprouted new leaves. Sturdy plant once you get the rhythm.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home