Houseplant Care Tips

Various Houseplant Care Tips Including Watering and Lighting Requirements.


Houseplant Care Tips

Monday, May 04, 2009

Wandering Jew Plant Care

Common Name: Wandering Jews
Scientific Name: Zebrina pendula
Lighting: Bright to Moderate
Watering: Moderate to Heavy


Wandering Jews is a houseplant that many claim to be one of the easiest houseplants to grow. The Wandering Jew is a vining plant with leaves characterized by white, silver and purple foliage with stripes down the length of the leaves. Since the plant tends to vine, hanging baskets or areas where it can trail down are the perfect locations for the Wandering Jew. Wandering Jews do flower with flowers colors ranging from purple, white and even some pink varieties.


This houseplant does best in bright sunlight, with a combination of direct and filtered sunlight. If the foliage color doesn’t seem to be as dramatic as it used to, your Wandering Jew probably isn't receiving as much light as it would like.


Wandering Jews prefer moderate to heavy watering. Aim to keep the soil moist most of the time, however not soggy. Allow it to try ever so slightly in between watering. They also prefer a slightly higher humidity level.


Wandering Jews also prefer to be more root bound, so typically you don’t need to repot much, in fact barely at all. One care tip I can share is that you should try to prune the ends of the stems often. By pruning the ends of the stems back, the plant will branch out and become more full and bushy. You can also create new little plants, by taking cuttings from the plant and rooting in water.


One area of caution with this houseplant. I found on a few Web sites posted that sap from Wandering Jews can cause skin irritation to humans. So take caution.




 AddThis Social Bookmark Button AddThis Feed ButtonAdd to Technorati Favorites

9 Comments:

Blogger Hapi said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Jackie said...

..I have an aloe plant that has been growing for years. All of the sudden their is a wandering jew plant growing with it. How did this happen???

3:19 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

I am so glad i found this site! I have a wandering Jew which I recently re-potted, as soon as I did the poor thing started looking like I have poured poison into it! Thank you so much for that bit of information about them needing a small pot! no other site said anything about it. This WAS a beautiful plant and I am now having hope it will be again!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@jackie its probably pollonation IE i have a BEAUTIFUL airplane or spider plant if you will and it has been srouting out different plants besides the usual off shoots

5:12 PM  
Blogger C.hogue said...

I need help ASAP please, not just in my wandering Jew but in one of my other plants also I have noticed these tiny white or lightly colored. The are so tiny I am not exactly sure what they look like. But the kicker is there seems to be thousands of them... And I'm seeing them all in the soil not on the plant. The wandering Jew is showing no signs of distress but my other plant is am I'm worried that this will spread. Heeeeelp!

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CHECK EVERY NEW PLANT FOR ISSUES- WHEN BUYING PLANTS FROM PLACES LIKE HOME DEPOT OR WAL-MART IT IS OFTEN FOUND THERE ARE BUGS IN THE PLANTS AND THE PLANTS ARE POTTED TO DEEP OR SHALLOW, SO QUARANTINE THEM OUTSIDE AND PREPARE THEM BY CLEANING AND LEVELING THE THE SOIL AND RINSING THE LEAVES BEFORE BRINGING THEM INSIDE OR THE PLANTS MIGHT SLOWLY DIE FROM WRONG SOIL LEVELS OR SMALL POTS OR BUGS OR DISEASE OR ROT OR FUNGUS OR ETC (JUST HEAVILY FLUSH WITH WATER ALL THE SOIL FOR THE FIRST PART OF THE SOLUTION BUT HAVE A GOOD OPENING IN THE POT AT THE BOTTOM FOR INSTANT DRAINAGE, ALL WATER MUST BE ABLE TO DRAIN IMMEDIATELY OR THE PLANT ROOTS SUFFOCATE, AND THE PLANTS SOIL MUST BE FLUFFY IN A WAY SO THE SOIL BREATHES AND ISN'T PACKED HARD OR THE SOIL GETS STAGNANT AND ROOTS SUFFOCATE, WHEN WATER FLUSH RINSING THE PLANT YOU CAN CUT A HOLE IN THE POT BOTTOM AND IF THE SOIL IS PLUGGED THEN JUST POKE A STICK THROUGH THE HOLE AND PUNCTURE THE DIRT, I ALSO WRAP THE SOIL IN A CLOTH TO CONTAIN IT WHEN TRANSPLANTING AND IT ALLOWS DRAINAGE, AND I SET UP A CAPTURE SYSTEM TO SAVE SOIL THAT FLOWS AWAY DURING THE RINSE FLUSH, THOSE LITTLE SPOTS THE SIZE OF SALT ARE BUGS, I TOOK MY PLANT OUTSIDE IMMEDIATELY AND PREPARED FOR TRANSPLANT AND SPRAYED THE ENTIRE PLANT WITH WATER TO BLAST OFF ANY UNSEEN BUGS HIDING IN PLANT CREVASSES, I SET UP THE POT TO DRAIN WATER EASILY BECAUSE I THEN FLOODED THE SOIL TO DROWN THE BUGS WITH FLOWING WATER FOR 20 MNUITES AND WOULD WATCH THEM DROWN AND RINSE OUT, AND CONTINUED TO RINSE THE LEAVES WITH AS MUCH PRESSURE AS POSSIBLE, ABOUT HALF THE SOIL RINSED OUT ALSO, AND WHEN FINISHED MANY ROOTS WERE VISIBLE BUT I TIED THE PLANT UP TO HOLD IT STABLE, AFTER IT RINSED FROM THE STORM OF WATER FOR AN HOUR IT WAS CLEAN, BUT IT NEEDED TO DRY OUT IN SUN AND A GOOD BREEZE FOR A FEW DAYS OUTSIDE OR IT WOULD END UP OVER WATERING THE PLANT, AFTER IT DRIED WELL I INSPECTED IT AND SAW NO CREATURES REMAIN, THEN FILLED THE MISSING SOIL WITH PEBBLES, THE PLANT RETURNED TO A HEALTHY CONDITION RIGHT AFTER THE HEAVY RINSE.. OH YA I ALSO USE A SPRAY BOTTLE WITH ANTI BACTERIA DISH SOAP IN WATER AND MISTED IT ALL OVER THE PLANT BUT RINSED IT BEFORE IT DRIED, AND NO SOAP IN THE SOIL JUST HEAVY RINSE AND REPLENISH THE MISSING SOIL BUT BE SURE TO DRY THE SOIL FAST.

TAKE IT EZ, D.C. (NOALIASNEEDED)

9:52 AM  
Blogger Cajun Girl said...

I have had my Jew for years. Suddenly something is eating it...FAST! The pest is leaving tiny dark purple poop on the area beneath the plant. What can I do???

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Jacquelyn said...

I have noticed for the last couple of months my wondering jew is been dying! What is going on, Pleased Help!!!!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello I just got my wandering jew plant about a month ago. My fathers room mate gave it to me as a gift. I have it hanging about my sink in my kitchen. And it seems to be slowly dying idk what im doing wrong. Im also afraid it might be dying due to being above me while i do dishes so the hot water might be messing with it... HELP!?!?!

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home