Houseplant Care Tips

Various Houseplant Care Tips Including Watering and Lighting Requirements.


Houseplant Care Tips

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Arrowhead Vine Care

Arrowhead Vine

Common Name: Arrowhead Vine
Scientific Name: Syngonium podophyllum (Nephthytis)
Lighting: Bright to Moderate
Watering: Heavy


The Arrowhead Vine is a fairly easy to grow houseplant. The Arrowhead vine tends to resemble a heart-leafed philodendron. Due to the vining nature of Arrowhead vines, they make great houseplants for hanging baskets or areas where allowed to climb. New shoots seem to grow more upward and have a more arrow shape. As they get older, the vines tend to start climbing and foliage will change shape.


There is a large selection of varieties of Arrowhead vines. Depending on the variety the foliage may have white, pink, or silver markings on the leaves upper surfaces.


Arrowhead Vines prefer bright to medium light levels. They will tolerate low light, but grow much better in brighter lighting. Keep the plant within 5 to 8 feet of a window receiving bright light.


Arrowhead Vines require moist soil at all times, so do not allow the soil to dry out in between watering however do not allow the soil to be soggy either. This houseplant also prefers high humidity levels for a daily misting would be beneficial. You’ll also want to water to the soil directly. Getting water on the foliage may cause spotting.


Another note is that this houseplant likes to be root-bound therefore you do not need to repot as much as other houseplants. Keep the roots more compacted.




 AddThis Social Bookmark Button AddThis Feed ButtonAdd to Technorati Favorites

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My arrowhead plant is browning. It is close to a window but the blinds are usually let closed. Am I watering it too much?

6:11 PM  
Blogger John said...

I have the same problem. Before winter came, I repotted my arrowhead because it grew so much in the summer that it's pot was way too small. I have two trailing vines growing out of the base now, but the older leaves are browning (some completely, but most just around the edges). These were the leaves closest to the windows, so I'm wondering if the cold winder killed the leaves or not. Either way, I've removed the affect leaves and will now see how the plant bodes.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took two cuttings from a friend's arrowhead plant and they grew roots in the water but now, in pots for about a month, there has been no new growth. Is this normal? Should I just keep waiting or could something be wrong? The leaves look healthy.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had these plants for years and they take very little attention, make sure they are in a pot that you don't care so much about because if you repot it you may have to break the pot because of there liking to be root bound. my plants have never had great light and still thrive. and I only water maybe 1 time a month. I am a poor plant person. they grow pretty slow and you may be watering too much.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a large selection of varieties of Arrowhead vines. Depending on the variety the foliage may have white, pink, or silver markings on the leaves upper surfaces.native wetland plants

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put my plant outside when the nights warm up. It is in direct sunlight for about 6-8 he's a day. I water every other day and feed once a month. It has increased in size ×10. A few weeks after I brought it in for winter I discovered several green tree frogs are hybernating in the soil.It doesn't appear to have done any damage to my plant. It was a plant I received from my dads funeral,and it gives me peace to see how beautiful it is growing,and the fact it is supporting life.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home