Houseplant Care Tips

Various Houseplant Care Tips Including Watering and Lighting Requirements.


Houseplant Care Tips

Monday, December 03, 2007

Poinsettia Care


Common Name: Poinsettia
Scientific Name: Euphorbia pulcherrima
Lighting: Moderate
Watering: Low to Moderate


The holidays and Christmas aren't the same without Poinsettias. You can find Poinsettias in a variety of colors ranging from the traditional bright red, to a faded red, all the way to the beautiful "Freedom White". How long you decide to keep your plant determines how much care is needed.


Poinsettias prefer moderate light levels. Do not place them in direct sunlight. It could burn the foliage. Poinsettias actually tend to do best when placed in a window with a shade allowing diffused light through.


Poinsettias require low water levels, however try and keep the soil moist at all times. You do not want the plant to be sitting in water, so be sure the roots aren't sitting in water and proper drainage is given.


Keep the temperature above 50 degrees and below 80 degrees. If the plant is exposed to temperatures out of its comfort zone, leaves may begin to drop. Also keep your Poinsettia away from heat sources or drafts.


It is possible to keep your Poinsettias for years with some extra care. If you would like your Poinsettia to bloom again the following year, provide them with at least 5 weeks of 15 hours of darkness per day. Put them in a closet or unlighted room. You could also cover it with a box. Of course do give it at least 4 hours of sunlight each day. Poinsettias are considered short day plants, thus needing the darkness to stimulate blooming. This can be a tricky process, but it's oh so sweet when successful.

Please use caution as these are on many poisonous houseplant lists.


Please share your Poinsettia care tips by commenting below!

Labels: ,


 AddThis Social Bookmark Button AddThis Feed ButtonAdd to Technorati Favorites

9 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I have two poinsettias from Christmas..it is now towards the end of Feburary and on poinsettia lost all it's leaves but the stems are still green. The other still has red leaves or petals and is doing pretty good although there isn't much foilage left. But they both have mildew all on the top of the soil. What should I do about that? And should I throw the other poinsetta with no leaves out even though it has green stalks? When should i start leaving them in a dark room for hours. I do want them to rebloom.

11:16 AM  
Blogger drayas said...

Emily,

To be honest, I have never kept my poinsettias long enough to really help you. I found this website that has a lot of information about pointsettias. I hope this helps.

Poinsettias, our traditional Christmas Flower.

Thanks,
drayas

5:03 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Thank you so much. This is the best website I've read that gives the best advice. Thanks again!

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have kept my Poinsettias from year to year. The mildew is from overwatering. Let them almost dry out before watering again. The green stems will produce leaves again. I put mine outside (in Minnesota) every summer in the shade. I've never put them in a "dark room" for any amount of time. I've kept them in not brightly lit rooms (living room) away from the windows after I bring them in in the fall and the top leaves (brachts) change back to their original color (red-white-etc.).

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought a very pretty Poinsettia this past Christmas and it is now July and it is still pretty! It hasn't dropped any leaves. I did notice some of the red "flowers" have faded and others are turning back to green! I am not treating it any different than I did when I first got it and this is the first time I have ever had one so long. I will try to get it to rebloom come this Christmas!!! I do have a new family room which gets nice bright light, my plant is about 8 feet from the window so whatever I'm doing, it must like it!

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool anonymmous i have 4 plants (2 wandering jews 1 aloe and 1 leoperd cactus) the only ones that are precticly dead is the cactus and the aloe the aloe has to be repoted and the cactus roots are growing back and i am very scared that the aloe wont live cause it's sufficated by the soil and i'm hoping that i get better soil one day

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking for info on how to care for a plant called Crown of Thorn family of the Poinsetta. I have this plant and it was beautiful for about 6 yrs and now has lost its beauty and does not flower any more. I need to know if I can cut it back without killing it and be able to start new growths out of it! Looking for help to save my Crown of Thorn! Thanks any suggestions would be helpful! Robin

8:23 AM  
Blogger dylan said...

I was given a little poinsettia for Christmas. Its was about for 4 inches high. I planted it outside in April.
It is now 15 inches high and beautiful. We live in Midland, Tx. and the temperature has been in the
100's for over 3 weeks. Its in a shady area. I very surprised and pleased.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Marc said...

I have poinsettia that is 2yrs old!!
He is super pretty and likes the breeze by an open window...
Always talk to your poinsettia!!!

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home