Houseplant Care Tips

Various Houseplant Care Tips Including Watering and Lighting Requirements.

Houseplant Care Tips

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Poisonous Houseplants

Below is a list of poisonous houseplants. Not only are these houseplants poisonous to animals such as cats and dogs, but also humans, so please keep your young children away from them. Many are poisonous only if ingested. Please, if you are worried your child or pets has been poisoned due to a houseplant, contact your local poison center immediately.

Aloe Vera
Angels Wings
Asparagus Ferns
Bird of Paradise
Chinese Evergreen
Corn Plant
Crown of Thorns
Devil's Ivy
Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane)
Dracaena Palms
Amazon Alocasia, Elephant Ear
English Ivy
Fiddle Leaf Fig
Fishtail Palm
Gold Dust Dracaena
Heart leaf Philodendron
Janet Craig Dracaena
Peace Lily
Ribbon Plant
Rubber Plant
Sago Palm
Snake Plants - Mother-in Law's Tongue
Split Leaf Philodendron
ZZ Plants

Please comment to add to this list. I will continue to add to it as I find more information.


Labels: ,

 AddThis Social Bookmark Button AddThis Feed ButtonAdd to Technorati Favorites


Anonymous Randall 44 at cox dot net said...

Why do you have Aloe Vera Listed as a poisonous plant? It is not poisonous and has many medicinal purposes including ingestion for ulcers, and it is often spread raw on burns not to mention a soothing sunburn ointment for your skin....

Just curious

6:56 PM  
Blogger drayas said...

Yes, Aloe is safe to use on sunburns and topical uses, however there are varieties that are poisonous when digested as far as I've found. If you have quality sources that state differently, please let me know and I will gladly revise the page.

North Carolina State University

Wikipedia (internal uses)

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there anyone that can tell me if a Jade Plant is poisonous for dogs? My dog had an "episode" the other night = which resulted in a rush to an Animal Hospital on a saturday night (of course). The onset of her symptoms came on quickly - and while we were at the hospital - the symptoms left quickly. We can find no reason for this - although we think she may have bitten off a bit of my Jade plant and ate it. Now I'm wondering if I should get rid of - or isolate my Jade from her - But we aren't sure this is what happened. If anyone can offer any suggestions or info.. I'd greatly appreciate it.



PS: I'll check back here for any responses.

11:26 PM  
Blogger drayas said...


All of the resources I used for putting together the list say it's non-toxic, but that's overall. Even though it's listed as non-poisonous, it may still have been the cause. I would keep the plant away from your dog, if it happens again, then you know to look for a different source.

Here's some of the resources I checked:

A Guide to House Plant Poisoning

Toxic Plants

Rose Floral & Greenhouse


12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have Spider Plant listed as a poisonous plant, yet according to the National Poison Control Center (800) 222-1222 it is not toxic. Also, it is clearly listed as a non-poisonous plant on the very lists that you cite as a reference. Please review your information. Thank you,

12:55 PM  
Blogger drayas said...


I appologize for the incorrect data. When I created the post a year ago, I did find it on a list. Many colleges release poisonous plant lists and that is where I gathered most of my information. I have since removed it from the poisonous houseplants list.

A FYI, the links in previous comments were for plants other than the Spider Plant.

Thank you,

4:01 PM  
Blogger sometrouble said...

I have seen some resources that say that the Zamioculcas (aka "ZZ") is poisonous. Do you know if this is true? Also, do you have any plans of writing a post on its care? It is a beautiful houseplant that thrives on a bit of neglect from my understanding.

10:57 AM  
Blogger drayas said...


Yes I just found that Zamioculcas is poisonous on Wikipedia. I will add this plant to my list of those to write care guides for.


3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought you might want to know that dieffenbachia can also irritate your skin. I was handling the stalk of the plant without gloves on after cutting the plant back and repotting the stalks. My hands started burning and itching. You couldn't see anything on my hands but it felt like I had a hundred paper cuts on the palm of my hand. I washed them over and over. The itching was terrible for two days but by the third day I begin to feel some relief. Be sure to wear gloves when handling the plant. I didn't know it was a poisonous plant. But will always wear gloves from now on.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just at my vet today and I told her about my dog liking my sheffalaria plant and she has eaten leaves many times. She has never gotten sick from it but my vet said she thought it was poisionous and I looked it up and sure enough it is on your list. Do you know what the symptoms are for dogs? I don't know how much of it she has eaten in the past, but if I were to guess I would say maybe 5-6 leaves.

11:16 AM  
Blogger drayas said...


I'm not sure exactly. I would think you're vet should know. I found this website that lists some basic information.

Dog Poisonous Plants.

Hope that helps.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Sherrie Lemnios said...

I've always wondered...Is it OK to compost leaves of poisonous plants?


9:36 AM  
Blogger drayas said...


I'm not 100% on this, but as long as you won't be eating anything from where you would post the composted poisonous plants you should be fine.

Any readers give us a hand, I'm going off logic not facts.


8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the compost settles and decomposes to a smaller rot, fungi and mold appear. I would think that with factors of weather and insects, bacteria, soil mineral content, there is a constant milling of the compost and the manipulation of the soil. It would seem that poisons would evaporate or dilute. :D

A logical spectator.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poinsettia has been known to be poisonous; yet I did not see it on list of poisonous plants.
Is it not poisonous?

Curious BV

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always heard that Easter Lilies are poisonous to pets, is this true? I noticed they aren't on your list.

9:50 AM  
Blogger drayas said...

Curious BV - I have added them to the list.

An Easter Lily is usually a Peace Lily, so yes they are poisonous.


11:36 PM  
Anonymous Olga said...

I have a Aloe Vera plant that i used for my husbands stomach ulcer. I just cut a couple leaves off and put them in my juice maker. Mixed it up with little bit of raw honey (which also heals ulcers) and he drank it. He is still alive.

2:01 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

To Patti,

my dog had the same problems. A change is his diet made all the difference. It turned out he had a food allergy to rice. We switched to a better quality food and the seizures went away. If we caught sales it ended up being about $8-12 more a month, which is a lot cheaper than vet bills. He also had them when he got into food he wasn't supposed to eat, like trash or a small piece of chocolate (labs... they get into everything) even though for a dog of his size would have to eat an enormous amount of chocolate to have chocolate poisoning.

After we switched him to better quality food, even when he got into the trash the episodes went away. That dog loved trash. lol. He was a lab/shar pei mix.

He ate this brand:
He went from seizures once every month or two or none at all.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

miley cyrus nude [url=]miley cyrus nude[/url] miley cyrus sex tape [url=]miley cyrus sex tape[/url] miley cyrus nude [url=]miley cyrus nude[/url] miley cyrus nude [url=]miley cyrus nude[/url] kim kardashian nude [url=]kim kardashian nude[/url]

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I have a Jerusalem cherry tree and I know it is poisonous. Any tips on how to grow? It's doing ok , but growing at an extremely slow rate. Thanks lisa

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at

Can I use part of the information from this blog post above if I provide a link back to this website?


9:40 AM  
Blogger drayas / Logical Mama said...


What Website? I am willing with a little more information.

Thank you,

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloe Vera is non-toxic, although the aloin (an organic compound unique to aloe) it produces does induce diarrhea. Usually undesirable, although it is used as a [very safe on your liver] constipation breaker.

The aloin has created a stigma against the benign consumption of aloe--who's medicinal benefits are countless, and only now being truly explored & recognized--considering the aloin can be removed, by simply cooking the Aloe; breaking down the aloin molecules into base compounds.

I personally cultivate large amounts of aloe strictly for its medicinal gel. It can be used for anything from battling viruses & inflammation, to headaches, to its effectiveness in treating diabetes & high blood lipids.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just planted parsley in a planter that used to house a dumbcane. Can we eat the parsley?


4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog BTW. Good for you!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home