Houseplant Care Tips

Various Houseplant Care Tips Including Watering and Lighting Requirements.


Houseplant Care Tips

Friday, March 23, 2007

Easy To Grow Houseplants

Some houseplants can require a lot of tender loving care, however there are a nice selection of beautiful easy to grow houseplants. Plus some of these don't even mind a little neglect once in awhile. Below is my top 10 easy to grow houseplants:


1. Philodendrons - Prefers moderate light, so you don't need to have it close to a window, plus only requires moderate to low water levels.


2. Snake Plants (Mother-in-law's Tongue) - My experience with this plant is that it will grow in almost any condition. In general, Snake plants require moderate to bright light, with moderate to low watering levels. I had my Snake plant in a room with one window that the shades barely ever got opened plus it was forgotten to water it often as well. Needless to say, it is still alive and very much well. Of course it is still not in the dark room, but it survived the 6 months there with no effect whatsoever.


3. Spider Plants - These are another one of the ultimate easy to grow houseplants. These plants seem to survive anything. Spider plants require moderate light and low to moderate water levels. Plus they grow additional Spider plants, so if you keep re-potting the offsets, you never run out.


4. Aloe Vera Plants - Prefers moderate to low light levels. The big plus to Aloe Vera plants is that you only have to water it about once every two weeks.


5. Christmas Cactus - Requires moderate to bright light, so you can have it right in the window or further away. Plus, just like the Aloe Vera plants you only need to water it once or twice every two weeks. I only water my Christmas Cactus once every two weeks.


6. Dragon Dracaena - Some people say that Dracaena's are hard to care for, yet I disagree. I actually have quite a few varieties. I have two groupings of Madagascar Dragon Trees plus one Corn Plant. Houseplants within the Dracaena family tend to prefer moderate to bright lighting as well as moderate water levels. I feel they are a very durable plant that can add a lot of drama to your room.


7. Cast Iron Plants - These plants require moderate to low light levels. So depending on your space, it should grow almost anywhere. They also prefer moderate watering so once a week is sufficient.


8. Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane) - These plants are said to be able to be grown by anyone; however this is one plant I struggle with. Mine looks good, but it seems I have to water it extremely often, a couple times a week. But my mom barely does anything to hers and it looks just like mine.


9. Peace Lily - These plants are so easy to care for, they'll tell you when they need water by drooping for you. Peace Lily's also only require moderate to low light levels.


10. Ponytail Palms - Put this palm in the window and water once every week to two weeks and you're good to go.





Labels: ,


 AddThis Social Bookmark Button AddThis Feed ButtonAdd to Technorati Favorites

18 Comments:

Anonymous T.Lenning said...

What a great site - helpful and useful information for a newbee like me! Thank you for sharing!

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THanks alot about the snake plant imformation. it really helped me. didn't know anything at all but i do now thanks to your site.keep up the good work and may you be bless.

10:38 PM  
Blogger bear said...

i have a dumbcane with very shallow roots. can anyone tell me how deep they should be?
thanks
bear

8:39 PM  
Blogger drayas said...

bear,

Dumb cane usually have shallow roots so don't be alarmed.

Thanks,
drayas

8:59 PM  
Blogger dale said...

Thank you for the information on aloe.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous PK said...

Thanks for your site! I received a peace plant about three months ago that had a glorious "flower", bright white. Then a couple more flowers opened up, also white. The first blossom started turning green; now all the blossoms are green. What causes that? I miss the white! Even the baby blossoms at the bottom are not white.

3:28 PM  
Blogger drayas / Logical Mama said...

PK,

Well, I have not seen that before, however in doing some research and found the below forum thread that sounds like it answers your question!

Peace lily blooms are green, not white!

Thanks!
drayas

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was pretty helpfull. I have a "dumb cane" picked it up at walmart cause I kill every plant i come in contact with. This one and me are getting rather close as ive kept it alive for a month now. Im a trucker so its my truck plant. It sat in the cup holder untill I moved it to a bigger pot, now its in my passengers seat. I probably water it every day and it gets a good amount of sun, yet its still growing! Im even surprised, wonder how long I can keep from killing it with too much sun and water.

10:13 PM  
Blogger orsula100 said...

hi, a week ago a friend gave me 2 baby spider plants, i put them in soil and watered them, but i think i was overwatering them :( anyway,today i took the baby spider plants and cleaned them with water i cleaned the roots and took off dead leaves and put them back in the pot where i put some new soil(i changed the soil because im afraid the old one is too wet) and i still didnt water them,im planing to water them in the morning.
please tell me is what i did good or bad for them? and what can i do to keep them from dying again biside not overwatering?
btw i dont have lot of light or direct sun in my apparetement.
thanks for the help :)

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Mystery Plant said...

I loved the info.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really loved the info. It was very helpful.

Also, I have a mystery plant. I can't figure out how to post a picture, so I will try to describe it.

It has no stem, only long leaves that extend from the base. The leaves are long and smooth, and stick up and slightly out. They are dark green with a lighter green or yellow border. I started out with only one of these plants, but it has sprouted many more in the pot that I put it in. Mine is about a foot tall at the tallest leaf, but I saw one before that had many more sprouts than mine in the same pot and was about two feet tall. Mine has flowered once and I have had it for about a year or a year and a half, but I do not remember when it flowered. It grew a long stem out of the middle of the plant and when it bloomed, bunches of tiny white flowers appeared along the center stem. Afterwards, it dropped the flowers and I broke most of the stem off, but there is still a short stem in the middle. It has not bloomed since.

Right now my plant has three different sprouts, but the second one grew taller than the first.

Does anyone know what my mystery plant is? If not, do you know how to post pictures so I can include one in a post?

Thanks!

6:10 PM  
Blogger drayas / Logical Mama said...

Hello!

I try to stay away from having readers email pictures because of viruses and what not, but if you upload a pic to an online service like Flickr you could always post a link to it as a comment.

My readers are great at helping answer questions. The site has grown in popularity to a point where I can't answer every question anymore but my readers help out a ton (THANK YOU!).

Post a pic and we'll see if we can help you figure out what your mystery plant is.

Thanks,
drayas

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found out yesterday what my mystery plant is! It's a snake plant (also known as a mother-in-law's tongue and another name that I can't spell). I checked out your care info on snake plants and found it very helpful. Thanks so much for the information, it was extremely helpful. And you are very right when you say that snake plants are very durable. I had mine for three years (?) now and it only got watered about once a month because I kept forgetting, was shoved into a tiny plastic pot that was cracking because the second sprout was coming up, dumped into a mug to keep it upright and to keep dirt and water from spilling all over my wooden night table, and it sat in water constantly whenever I watered it because I always overwatered it. Now it is in a bigger pot where it has plenty of space (not potbound as you said it likes to be) with no drainage holes in the bottom, only a layer of gravel to let the water drain a little more. It has had very rough treatment and it is perfectly happy and has gone from one little sprout to two tall, healthy sprouts and one smaller baby sprout that is light green and well on its way to maturity (and a lot further along the path than most of the boys are in my sixth grade class, and the boys are nine years older).

4:34 PM  
Anonymous bluejeangirl said...

Thank you for this very useful blog.

Another plant that is very easy to take care of is Pothos or Devil's Ivy. Just like the Heart-Leaf Philodendron, it can be grown in water. It tells you when its time to be watered - that is when the leaves turn a little limp.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Mook said...

Aloe Vera should be number one... I left my two aloe vera plants with my parents when I went on an internship to Florida for seven months and my mother forgot about them left in the garage. When I returned then were brown and looked dead but I watered them for a few weeks and now (a year later) they're thriving- in fact I think the only way I can keep them from multiplying is to not water them again for a few months!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Maridy Carpenter said...

Thank you, thank you for your site! This is some great information!. I used to think I killed houseplants. Then I got a philodendron. It's not very fast growing (not enough light, I think)but I've had it for 6 years and it survived a move and I've propagated it once. All without knowing what I was doing. I found your site while researching spider plants. Got one as a gift about two years ago. Didn't do anything for a long time. Then about 6 months ago, it started growing wild! Thanks for letting me know how to care for it. And after reading your information about easy to grow plants, I will be buying an aloe the next time I see one. Thanks again!

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My peace lily lost its little white bulb/flower will it come back?

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the great information. very helpful. Miss Ann

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home